Friday, January 2, 2009

Laughing about the funny times in Tuscany

Ray and I were just reminiscing about our trip and some of the funny times. We didn't mention the time Ray decided to play with a Viper snake because we didn't know how crazy it was at the time.
We were on the outer road of Montepulciano visiting a plant nursery with Ugo because he wanted to purchase a new lemon tree for Barbara (a peace offering as the two always found some fun in bickering). As Ray and I were walking down the driveway I noticed something move, I stepped back and he said "look, it's only a cute little snake". It was a small black snake with white markings on it's head. I told him to leave it alone and he thought it would be fun to pick it up by it's tail. As he played with it a man walked by, he looked stunned and yelled something in Italian to Ray. I asked Ray what he said and Ray said the man said that he was crazy and that he shouldn't play with the snake.
Once we got home we read that Tuscany was home to the poisinous Viper, without anti venom a person can not survive more than an hour. We laughed at our ignorance now that we were back home and didn't even realize how dangerous and stupid that move was. I just thought it was an "icky, slimy thing" to be left alone, needless to say, Ray really felt lame.
We also laughed about the "American Tape" incident. We tried to explain the brilliance of Duct Tape and it's many uses to Ugo before he took a trip to the local hardware store. He came home with clear packaging tape and called it "American Tape". I think he even tried to use the packaging tape outside to tape together parts of plastic on the greenhouse we helped build. Yes the packaging tape was lame and we've since shipped him duct tape. I don't know if he's tried it yet, we'll have to ask. I have a feeling it's sitting in his garage in the "Stupid American", pile of other useless stuff he thinks we spend too much money on as Americans.
We also had a laugh about my half of the bed, as I sat on it one night typing away on my laptop about how it was cold and the day was not fun and about how I was grumpy, the bed collapsed, well the legs slid and buckled by the feet. It left me typing grumpy comments on a slanted bed, those comments never made it into the blog as Ray was the next one to update the blog.
It's funny to laugh at those things now that we are back. And, we miss Tuscany. We even miss the broken bed, the lack of duct tape and...well we don't miss the Viper.

No comments: